Thursday 16 September 2010

When I'm Sixty-Four

Just close to sixty now, I thought of the Beatle's song, 'When I'm sixty four'. Two of them are gone already - before that age. Lennon shot five times in the back in front of his New York apartment by a madman. George passed away after illness. Pretty boy Paul still lingering on holding concerts here and there, and Ringo hiding somewhere. The Fab four thrilled the world for a while and for 50 years we are living in the afterglow of their 100 number one tunes being played over and over again on all the radio stations of the world.
Was it all just a fad or a brilliant marketing campaign or did the Liverpool lads have some genius after all? Did it lay in the mix of McCartney & Lennon, or was it the foursome magic that worked on all of us? Did the spark die when Lennon disappeared? It's just not the same without him. Like Simon & Garfunkel, the one without the other just doesn't work as well, or like Crosby, Stills & Nash, or Dylan and The Band.
Were the Beatles really more popular than Jesus Christ, like Lennon claimed before he died. Just before Elvis and even Michael Jackson crossed over to the other side they were worshipped as gods of rock and roll.
The Old Covenant law looms up,'Thou shalt not have any other gods before me...'
So much we still need to understand.
But the point is, John never lived till 64.
'Will you still need me
Will you still feed me
When I'm sixty four'
I think of all my friends throughout life that didn't make that magic figure either. They're gone, deceased, out of here. And I am thinking hard today...
When I had my close shaves in life, I wondered why I made it? I don't deserve to be here, I have no special claim to life itself, it is a miracle that we are still all alive. Its not luck - its pure grace and mercy.
It is a humbling and sobering thought...64
So let me tie my shoe laces up, put on my belt, pull it tight, pull my hat over my eyes, to keep the bright sunlight out, grab my coat and hit the road again...till I'm 64 (DV)

No comments: